Before you start as a blogger, you’ve got to have a domain name and web hosting. But what are they? How they work?
This post will tell you everything you need to know.
What Is Web Hosting
Web hosting in a simpler form is the space you buy on a server to host your website. These servers are either privately owned or rented by Hosting providers.
When you buy a web hosting plan from The companies like the one above, you actually pay them to keep your website or blog accessible throughout the world. They give you their server’s Space to build up your blog online.
This is just like buying a plot to build a house on it. You pay for the plot and slowly build your house where you will live someday.
You need to have a web host to make your blog online. However, there are some free hosts also but they are never recommended. They have multiple disadvantages but let’s leave this topic for some other day. In one sentence – “Without a web host, you cannot make a website or Blog.
Web hosts provide you with a physical Server. This server contains and stores your website information such as design, content, etc. Your Domain Name is Routed towards this server allotted with a social IP Address for identification.
When a user clicks on your domain name, the visitor’s browser requests for the needed information. The server responds and provides the browser with relevant Information and data.
There are 5 Types, more specifically to say server types which are:-
- Shared Hosting
- Managed Hosting
- Dedicated Hosting
- VPS Hosting
- Cloud Hosting
In a Nutshell let me tell you about each and every Category of hosting:-
Types of web hosting
1. SHARED Hosting – Shared Hosting is the best and recommended hosting type for beginners. In this hosting, you share a single server with more than 1 users like 4 or 5 users. These are generally the cheapest and best value for money.
2. MANAGED Hosting – This is a newly developed category of the server where your server is fully managed by the hosting providers. You don’t have to worry about security, Speed and Updates, etc. This is the best hosting type and can manage millions of users.
3. DEDICATED Hosting – With Dedicated Hosting plans you are allotted a dedicated server, just for your website. You own this server completely. However, this hosting isn’t recommended for normal or personal bloggers because you have to manage everything from security to scaling on your own.
4. VPS Hosting – VPS Stands for Virtual Private Server. Generally, with VPS, you are still using a shared network however you are given a virtual, separate environment so that you don’t have to share your resources with other websites on the same shared server.
5. CLOUD Hosting – Instead of having your website or application run on just a single server – as is traditional – the cloud spreads the work among multiple. Think about it as having a computer that you can upgrade or downgrade on the fly depending on your needs. This runs on multiple cloud computers.
Web Hosting Is something you need to choose carefully. This will be the backbone of your blog and help it rise and shine. The hosts above are some of the top brands to choose Hosts more specifically for WordPress, you May look for My handpicked article on “How to Select and what are the best WordPress Hosts
Now its time for you to understand “what is Domain Name & The difference between Domain Name & Web Hosting”
Domain Name is the Address of your website. Like Bforbloggers.com is An Address where this Blog can be found. Just like you find your friend on his Address.
Basically, Domain name was introduced to get rid of I.P. Addresses. An IP looks like 637.73.828.82. Technically it is impossible to remember I.P Addresses for every specific website.
Domain Names are pointed towards these I.P. Addresses allotted to servers of the particular website. This helps us to remember web addresses more easily.
When you hit bforbloggers.com in the address bar of your web browser, they are converted into Computer’s language, The Numbers! These numbers are which we call I.P. Address.
Nameservers are allotted to you when you purchase a web hosting plan. You have to change the original name server with the one allotted to you by the host.
First, Buy A Domain. After you have purchased a domain name, You will be allocated a control panel to access the DNS and Other Details.
You will have to find the term “NAMESERVERS” In your control panel and change it to the desired nameserver. You may have to wait several hours for this process to be completed successfully.
Difference Between Domain Name & Web Hosting
Domain Names aren’t the same as web hosting. But how are they different?
Domain Name is your Address. Web Hosting is where you live. Your domain is pointed to your server (given by the host) and your server is where your website resides.
You are actually buying a plot as – Web Host
Where you will visit the plot – Domain Name
While some web host gives you a free domain name, some don’t. In such cases, you need to purchase them through a registrar like Godaddy & NameCheap. You may follow the above process to point them to your host.
You have to buy web hosting. Then only you will be able to store your website details on a web server to make it accessible on the internet.
You have to renew it every year generally. You can do this by logging into your domain registrar Panel.
Web hosting and domain name both work differently. By now you should have concluded that a domain alone can not be used to create a website, however, a hosting provider can still allow you to create a website which can be accessed via the servers IP.
I hope this guide has helped you in understanding the domain name and hosting clearly. You would also like to read my guide on how to start a blog, step by step.
Share this post on your favorite social media and share your questions, views, and thoughts with me via the comment section below.