WordPress powers more than 31% of the world’s website today. It is itself very secure, and you’ll notice how frequently it gets updated with the latest security patches and standards.
Having more and more people using the same CMS to build their websites has one big disadvantage: “vulnerability.”
Unlike others, WordPress is being targeted by hackers more often because of its popularity and mass use.
To keep your WordPress blog secured, I highly recommend installing some of the security plugins available, but not just any useful security plugin. A plugin that can help you fight spam, sploggers, malware, DDOS, hackers, and so on.
iThemes Total Security
iThemes comes with a complete set of plugins combined together to help you protect your blog in any circumstances.
It is a premium plugin and also has a free version. The free version is limited in many ways, but it will do the job for a beginner.
Ithemes protection features are:
- Two-Factor Authentication – log in using Google Authenticator to generate a code or have a generated code sent on your email.
- Editing WordPress Salts & Security Keys – You can update your WordPress keys and salts using iThemes easily.
- Schedule Malware Scans – You can set up ithemes to your site scanned for malware automatically each day. If an issue is found, you’ll be informed in your email.
- Password Hardening – This allows you to generate strong passwords right from your ithemes profile screen.
- Password Expiration – You can set a password’s maximum age and force users to create a new password after a set time. You can also force all the users to create a new password immediately whenever you want.
- Integrate Google reCAPTCHA – Protect your site against spammers using reCaptcha solutions.
- User Action Audit Logging – This helps you track when users edit content, login, or logout.
- Import/Export Settings – It really Saves your time setting up multiple WordPress sites.
- It comes with WP Dashboard Widget – It helps you manage important tasks such as banning a user and do scans right from your WordPress dashboard.
- Temporary Access Escalation – You can give a developer or someone else temporary admin or editor access to your site that will automatically reset itself. ( best for freelancers and users who hire remote developers)
And much more. Ithemes is a great plugin for your website’s overall protection & to clean it up in just one-click.
Sucuri WordPress Security
Sucuri is the plugin I use here. It is one of the few security plugins with a DNS level firewall that protects your website from hackers and other malware before they even reach your server.
Sucuri plugin has a hardened module by which you can harden each specific stage of your WordPress websites like login area, comment area, plugin vulnerability, and others.
Some great features of Sucuri:
- Activity auditing
- File integrity monitor
- Remote malware scanner
- Uplevel security hardening
- Security actions before a hack
- automatic security notifications on emails
- DNS level Website firewall
The best part of using Sucuri is to block any unauthorized access to sensitive parts of your website, such as your login page. It is highly effective in reducing server load time by eliminating the root access to your servers. Since no spam and robot traffic will be able to access your WordPress website, you’ll save bandwidth and improve overall speed.
Sucuri’s WordPress plugin also sends a notification of every change that happens on your website and immediately informs you if it finds something suspicious. If you own a business or company website, I highly recommend you to install Sucuri.
MalCare takes a different approach to secure WordPress.
MalCare cleans a hacked or infected WordPress site, and with basic configurations, it ensures your website is secure from future attacks.
So, if you have a hacked or infected blog with some malicious code, go ahead and install the MalCare plugin right away. It will clean your blog in record time.
Some of the great features of MalCare:
- Early malware detection
- Catches the complicated malware faster
- Instantly cleans any pre-existing malware.
- Protects Wp-login (saves from Brute-force & DDOS)
- Automatically implements the best security settings for overall hardening.
- Adds no overload on servers
- Accurate – minimum false alarms
- Automatic daily backup (With Blogvault)
- Automatic WordPress updates
And much more.
MalCare is one of the most feature-rich one in all security plugin.
BulletProof WordPress Security
Bulletproof security or BPS pro has an impressive rating of 4.7 stars on the WordPress plugin repo. BPS pro requires minimum configuration and comes with a malware scanner, firewall, login security, DB backup, anti-spam & more.
It’s one of the easiest to use a security WordPress plugin.
It comes with heavy features like:
- One-click setup walkthrough wizard
- Auth cookie expiration
- Security logging
- HTTP error logs
- Malware scanner
- JTC anti-spam & anti hacker
- 16 more plugins to choose for hardening security
- Custom php.ini
- Read-only file lock
And many more features that go above my head. BPS is one of the most comprehensive security plugins you’ll ever use. BPS also has a GDPR compliant mode, so you don’t have to worry about that. It also has a built-in .htaccess editor by which you can edit your root folders whenever you want.
With more than 3000+ reviews and a 5-star rating, Wordfence is one of the most popular security hardening plugins. It has an integrated malware scanner blocks requests that include malicious code or content.
Wordfence is used by more than 2 million WordPress websites and is regularly updated with new security rules and features.
Its features include:
- WordPress firewall
- Security scanner
- Set of security tools
- File repair function
- Site vulnerability check
- IP blacklisting
- Blocks malicious traffic
And much more. Along with its tough core features, Wordfence actively scans the overall files and immediately sends you a notification if something goes wrong.
Using its site vulnerability check, you can catch any malicious files or permission changes from the moment you start using it.
WPS Hide Login
WordPress has a default login URL that every user is aware of, including hackers, sploggers, and spammers. This login URL also has a few synonyms. The default WordPress login URL is
But the login page is accessible through several other URL slugs such as:
- and even with /login.php
And there can be more of them you’ll never know. So, to protect or hide your login page from everyone except you and people you trust, you should install the WPS Hide Login plugin.
What WPS hosting does is blocks access to the wp-login page via slugs like “wp-login.php,” “wp-admin.php,” and “/login.” It redirects your wp-login URL to anything you want.
It can be “yourdomain.com/mylogin,” etc.
Here’s a tip: since you want hackers to stay ways from your login page, avoid using slugs like /login, /admin, /administrator, and so on. Think of something unique and hard to guess.
WP Security Audit Log
When you are hiring developers, gathering new guest authors and editors, you must keep an audit log of every change on your website.
This is the one simple plugin to do that. It comes with lots of other features to help you monitor every security update that happens in WordPress.
Some of its best features are:
- Logs the plugin and theme changes
- Multisite network changes
- Logs core WordPress settings changes
- Databases changelogs
- Logs the changes in WooCommrce, BBpress forum, and other compatible plugins
- User profile and post, page, and custom post type changelogs
- User activity tracking
To increase security, you can also track what your users are doing in real-time, follow their activities, on-click log-off any user, generate CSV reports, and many more things you can do with this one plugin. It tracks and monitors users in realtime, and you can watch every data through your dashboard.
If you have a multisite WordPress installation, I highly recommend you install this plugin.
Login LockDown Security Plugin
Brute force attacks are very hard to defend if you are not prepared beforehand. WordPress’ popularity is the main cause of so many bots trying to access your blog using brute-force attacks.
Brute-force attacks is a trial and error method where a robot created by an attacker uses millions of combinations of usernames and passwords to gain access to your admin area.
To protect your WordPress website from such attacks, you can install login lockdown. Login lockdown blocks access to the admin area if any user enters a wrong password for 3 or the number of times you set.
This plugin is simple but very effective.
Even if your has several different security plugins, you need to have one thing for sure that is:
A complete backup of your website is something you’ll always need. A backup will help you retain your site successfully if anything goes wrong while doing:
- Hosting migration
- Testing of new plugins and WordPress themes
- Update your WordPress version, themes, or plugins
- Do any customization
And so on.
If anything goes wrong while migrating your website from one host to another or if you make any changes in your theme files and something breaks, your backup will be your lifeline. The plugin backup buddy makes it very, very easy to take backups and restore your WordPress website.
I use it myself. Some of its best features are:
- Backup notes and memory
- Ability to restore single files
- Inbuilt file viewer
- Status log Download
- Ability to perform a database rollback
- Sever Information data
What I see is BackUpBuddy creates a backup very fast. Faster than other backup plugins out there. I highly recommend you to get this one plugin if you want to save your hard work. You can also send backups to an offsite destination you want.
All in one WP Security
All in one, WP security is one more beginner-friendly security plugin that comes with many inbuilt modules for the complete protection of your website.
All in one, wp security is straightforward to use and simple to understand, making it the right choice for bloggers who are just starting out.
Some of its best features include:
- Find and force to change the same usernames. Also alerts if anyone is using default usernames.
- Comes with a password strength checker tool
- Stops any user enumeration
- Inbuilt brute force defender
- Options to add reCAPTCHA to various areas on your website
- Database backup schedule
- PHP code protection ( Disable the WordPress code and files editor)
All in one, WP security has it all. If you are a beginner who wants to handle everything by themselves are tight on budget, this plugin may be an ideal choice for you.
CDN Enabler + Really Simple SSL
Using a CDN not only helps you optimize your site for speed, but it also helps you to protect and defend it from DDOS attacks, spam attacks, and bad bot traffic.
The CDN Enabler plugin will help you easily integrate a CDN in WordPress without a developer’s need. Simply signup for a CDN such as Cloudflare, KeyCDN, or MaxCDN and add your CDN URL in the plugin. That’s it.
The main benefit of having a CDN is protection from all major and minor security breaches before accessing your site and server.
Similarly, having an SSL certificate for your site is very, very important. An SSL certificate will enable HTTPS protocol for your site, which prevents data theft.
SSL or secured socket layer encrypts that data sent and received on and from your website so that any third party can not access this data.
Really Simple SSL is a plugin that makes installing an SSL on your WordPress website super easy. All you need to do is purchase an SSL certificate and then simply install this plugin, and you are done.
I’ve already shown why the best alternative for WangGuard is Cleantalk. Since spam has been causing many headaches for almost every blogger, CleanTalk seems to be a required plugin.
What CleanTalk does it this:
It fights spam without reCAPTCHA.
CleanTalk protects your website’s every page, such as comments forms, contact forms, login forms, WooCommerce registration and product pages, and so on.
If you are on shared hosting, this will also help you save bandwidth and let your site load faster because it also comes with a spam firewall. You can read the whole CleanTalk review and setup guide here.
All of these plugins are unique in their own way. I’ve listed all of their features so that you can differentiate and understand which plugin is the one you’ll need.
I would also recommend you to check if your host is implementing the latest security measure or not. It is equally important that you are with the right web host, fast, secure, and reliable.
I am using the managed WordPress hosting by WPX hosting.
If you have an existing website, some great hosts give free migrations.